So I had the afterthought that I didn’t tell you what I did with the broccoli heads (from Cane Creek Farm) when I used the stems in my Duck Stock. Broccoli is in season now, so it shouldn’t cost too much even if you don’t have a farmer’s marker to go to. Roasted broccoli is one of my favorite snacks and also makes a great side dish, which is how we had it last night.Here’s what you do:
Broccoli heads (as many as you want, I usually make 1-2 lbs at a time and fill a cookie tray with them)
garlic, fresh, minced
fresh ground black pepper
lemon peel, dried (optional, I just happen to have a ton lying around from last years canning and try to use it; you could also use fresh)
Extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Chop broccoli heads into bit-sized pieces and scatter on a cookie tray.
- Stream about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over the broccoli.
- Sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and any other seasonings you want to use.
- Place in the middle of the oven, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the edges are starting to brown/crisp.
- Remove from oven and enjoy. They are also good cold in salads for a couple of days after you roast them.
Even if you think you don’t like broccoli, I urge you to try them this way- it just may change your mind. Broccoli is definitely a part of my yummy local life!