My husband got these beers in a multipack that had a ton of yeast sediment in the bottom of them. My old sourdough starter had frozen in the back of our refrigerator, and it was time to make some new anyways. I got a clean mason jar, some fresh flour and some clean water, in addition to rinsing the sediment from the bottom of one beer bottle. Then I left this concoction on the counter, covered with wax paper for a few days, adding about 1/4 cup of water and flour each day. Finally, I had this beautiful bubbly brew:
This past weekend I used the Challah bread recipe from Wild Fermentation. The bread turned out pretty nicely, but a bit denser than pervious challah loaves I have made. I think the starter would be better suited to a rustic italian/sourdough loaf; but it also may have helped to let the second rise go a bit longer. All in all, we do have some tasty bread for the week. And it looks pretty too:
I am excited to see how this starter evolves over time. The last starter I had kept going for about a year and a half. I find that using it every two weeks or so is the best for keeping it going pretty nicely.