So last week I got the ingredients to make this 4 ingredient chocolate oreo ice cream that I had been drooling over from Two Peas and Their Pod. I have tried many non-dairy or less dairy versions of ice cream and they usually turn out too ice-y. So when I saw this about using the full fat coconut milk to make ice cream I thought I’d give it a try. Let me tell you it was perfect and it is GONE!
So now that I know that coconut milk will make a great ice cream base (with no dairy OR eggs!) I decided to invent my own ice cream. I set out to make mint chocolate chip, but since I still had oreos around, I decided to use them instead of the chocolate chips. Here’s what I came up with:
1 can full fat unsweetened coconut milk (I used the whole foods brand)
1/3 c sugar (fair trade)
1 1/2 tsp peppermint flavoring (I use simply organic)
3 drops green food coloring, 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional, but my husband says its not mint if its not green…)
10 crumbled oreos (ok, not really they are Whole Foods chocolate and cream cookies, but whatever)
1. blend everything except the oreos up in your blender to make sure they are well combined.
2. Pour into your ice cream maker and let church for 10-15 minutes.
3. When it is nearly frozen, crush the oreos in and let them combine with the base.
4. Put into an airtight container and free over night to let it get nice and firm.
5. Enjoy for the next few days then repeat when you run out!
I’m thinking the base of coconut milk and the 1/3 cup of sugar will be great for adding many different flavors to. What flavor would you try?