Happy Earth Day! One of my favorite days when my “Christian” side (God’s command to care for the earth) collides so nicely with my “hippie” side (striving to live a natural, local, non-wasteful lifestyle).
So here’s what is on the docks for this week:
– More Strawberry madness…smoothies, margaritas, and of course just snacks…
– Pizza with miscellaneous veggies, homemade dough and sauce
-Kale chips with homemade ketchup
-Lamb brats with peppers and onions
-Sweet Potato Mole- a layered casserole with sausage (in our case the rest of the lamb brats), sweet potatoes, corn, a chili-mole type of sauce- recipe found in the Almost Meatless cookbook, which since I’ve brought it up I would highly recommend.
– Green Bean Casserole from scratch- an Alton Brown recipe that we love and make often
– Caesar salad (again) with avocado (again) because it was delicious last week. Gonna tweak up the dressing to try to get it to be a bit more liquid-y and top it off with some fried up tempeh strips.
– Egg Foo Yung with Tofu- based loosely off of Sam the Cooking Guy’s recipe
-Tempeh Grilled Cheese sandwiches on homemade IPA cheese beer bread – everything local doesn’t have to be super healthy, but it’s still better for you than the processed junk in the middle aisles of the grocery store!
What are you making out of local foods this week? I’m always up for some more menu ideas for things that are in season.